From "Fantastic Flax" by Alive Books
Yields 6 dozen cookies
- 1/2 cup whole flax seeds
- 1 cup kefir or buttermilk
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 cups Sucanat (dried cane sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups soft whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups freshly chopped almonds
- In a medium-size bowl, soak whole flax seeds in kefir or buttermilk for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and dried cane sugar until fluffy.
- Add one egg at one time and beat mixture until creamy. then add vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, flax meal, oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- Stir in kefir-soaked flax seeds and butter egg mixture.
- Add almonds and mix well.
- Form dough into balls, place on cookie sheet allowing 2 inches between each ball.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 15 minutes or until cookies are golden.
- Remove from oven and shift cookies to cooling rack.