Daiya tested and approved.
Submitted by Alivia to www.daiyafoods.com
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar + extra for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 8 Tbsp dairy-free margarine (cold)
- 1 cup dairy-free milk alternative + 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (buttermilk replacement)
- 1 cup Daiya cheddar-style shreds
- 1 cup diced, peeled apples
- Mix your dairy-free milk alternative with apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in "buttermilk" until crumbs are moistened.
- Next, gently fold in Daiya cheddar style shreds and diced apple.
- Place dough on a generously flours surge and knead until dough is a smooth consistency and no longer sticks to your hands. Divide dough into two equal sized portions and place on baking sheet lined with parchment. Pat each ball into circles about 3/4" thick. Score rounds into 8 pie-shaped pieces and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Yields 16 servings.