- 1/2 cup pearl tapioca
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup hot milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 1 cup seedless raisins (optional)
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp water (optional)
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Soak tapioca for 12 hours in milk.
- Cook milk and tapioca in a double boiler, stirring from time to time.
- When tapioca is soft, remove it from the fire.
- Cool it slightly; stir in the butter and hot milk.
- Beat the egg yolks, sugar, raisins, lemon rind, lemon juice, and salt.
- Add this misture to the tapioca.
- Place the pudding in a greased baking dish.
- Bake in a moderate oven (325 F) until it is firm (about an hour). Stir once or twice.
- Cool the pudding slightly.
- Cover it with a meringue (see below for method).
- Bake in a slow oven (300 F) for 15 minutes.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tarter, and water in a small bowl at high speed for 3 minutes.
- Add sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add salt and vanilla, and continue beating until meringue stands in stiff peaks (4-5 minutes).
Bake as directed.