Middle Eastern Chicken Soup with Freekeh
o 1 medium Onion – diced
o 2 Carrots – peeled and diced
o 3 Celery Stalks – diced
o 3 cloves Garlic – minced
o 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
o 1 teaspoon Salt
o ½ teaspoon Pepper
o 8 cups Chicken Stock – low sodium
o 20 ounces boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
o 14 ounce can Chick Peas – drained and rinse
o juice of one Lemon
o 8 cups Spinach leaves
o 1 cup cooked Freekeh
o minced Parsley
1. Heat a large soup pot over medium high and spray with cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil.
2. Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, cinnamon, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook until vegetables are softened, stirring frequently, about 7-9 minutes.
3. Pour chicken stock into the pan and bring to a boil. Add chicken breasts and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 15-20 minutes.
4. Remove cooked chicken breasts from the pot and set aside until cool enough to handle. Shred chicken or dice then return to the pot.
5. Add chick peas, lemon juice, spinach and freekeh to the soup. Heat until spinach is wilted, about 5 additional minutes.
6. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly before serving with fresh minced parsley.