Hot Buckwheat Noodle Salad
- Noodle salad
- 2 portions buckwheat noodles
- 1 handful of finely chopped carrots
- 1 handful of shredded cabbage - red or white
- 1 handful of any other crunchy veg - brocolli/fennel/radish
- 2 handfuls of raw leaves - watercress/baby spinach/sliced lettuce
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Splash of tamari or a pinch of sea salt
- Fresh herbs - coriander/mint/basilArial
- Small handful of any nuts and seeds
- 1 lemon or lime, juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 crushe garlic clove
- Sea sale and pepper to taste
- Optional: Finely shredded chilli/finely chopped ginger
- Cook your buckwheat noodles according to the packet - use plenty of water but don't add oil - during the first minute of cooking use two forks to stir and separate the noodles.
- When tender, drain and rinse with cold water for about 15 seconds to stop them cooking further. Set aside to drain, tossing a little toasted sesame oil through to stop the noodles sticking.
- While the noodles are cooking, chop up, grate or mandolin your vegetables.
- On medium heat, dry toast your nuts or seeds in a frying pan or wok until golden brown - this will only take a minute so keep your eye on that pan! Set aside.
- Turn the heat up on the pan and add in the coconut oil and red/spring onion.
- After 30 seconds or so, add your "hardest" vegetables first - this will probably be your carrots - and stir fry on a high heat for two minutes. Add the rest of the vegetables and stir fry for a further minute - you want to lightly cook your vegetables to retain crunch and the bright colours. Cook your vegetables a little more if you need to, a few tablespoons of water helps to steam them.
- Turn off the heat, add the cooked noodles and a splash of Tamari or sea salt to taste and toss.
- If using raw leaves, add them now. Spoon over dressing and toss everything together.
- Top with toasted nuts and seeds. To save on washing up and to keep your salad hot let everyone help themselves from the pan.