Kale and Chickpea Sandwich Spread
• 2 medium kale leaves (any variety), rinsed well
• 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
• 2 cups cooked or one 15- to 16-ounce can (drained and rinsed) chickpeas
• 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional, but highly recommended)
• 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise (I used vegenaise) or tahini
• 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
• 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves or 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh dill leaves
• 1 to 2 scallions, green parts only, cut into large pieces, optional
• 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, or more to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, or more to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, or more to taste
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
• Fresh green sprouts (optional)
1. Combine the kale and carrot in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until the chickpeas are evenly chopped and everything is nicely blended—don’t overprocess; leave the mixture a bit chunky.
3. Transfer to a serving container and serve at once, or cover and refrigerate until needed.