- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Whipped Cream, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
1. Mix strawberries with 3 tablespoons sugar and refrigerate while juices develop, at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
4. Add heavy cream and mix until just combined. Place mixture in an ungreased 8-inch square pan and bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
5. Remove shortcake from pan and place on a rack to cool slightly. Cut into 6 pieces and split each piece in half horizontally.
6. Spoon some of the strawberries with their juice onto each shortcake bottom. Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream (below) and then the shortcake top. Spoon more strawberries over the top and serve.
7.Using a mixer, beat the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until soft peaks form, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.