• 8 Ontario Lamb Shanks
• Salt and pepper
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried thyme and rosemary
• 2 bottles (341 mL each) Ontario stout-based beer
• 3 cups (750 mL) beef broth
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
• 3 tbsp (45 mL) packed brown sugar
• 3 Ontario Onions, cut into wedges
• 3 each Ontario Carrots and Parsnips, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
• Half Ontario Rutabaga, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) wedges
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley
1. Season lamb with salt and pepper; coat with flour. In large ovenproof casserole, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat. In batches, brown lamb, adding more oil as needed. Remove to a plate.
2. Stir in any remaining flour, garlic, thyme and rosemary; stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat and gradually stir in beer; bring to boil, scraping up brown bits. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in 2 cups (500 mL) of broth. Return lamb to pan; bring to boil. Cover and bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 1-½ hours.
3. Meanwhile in skillet, melt butter and sugar over medium heat; stir in vegetables; season with salt and pepper. Add remaining broth and bring to boil. Add to lamb, cover and bake in 350°F (180°C) oven another 1-¼ hours or until lamb and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.