• 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
• 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
• 2 each Ontario Carrots and Parsnips, diced
• 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
• 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
• 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
• 6 cups (1.5 L) sodium-reduced chicken broth
• 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Ontario Green Cabbage
• 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney or romano beans, drained and well rinsed
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) elbow macaroni or other small shaped pasta
• 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and parsnips; cook stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, basil, thyme and a pinch of pepper. Add tomatoes and broth; cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage, beans and pasta; return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until pasta is tender. Stir in parsley; season with salt and more pepper to taste. Serve with cheese.
- Tip: If making ahead, soup will thicken. Add water or broth until desired consistency.