Garden Vegetable Medley
• 2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 lb. zucchini (about 3 medium zucchini), cut into chunks
• 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes (or 3 fresh tomatoes, diced)
• 2 cans (14 oz) beans, drained and rinsed (black, kidney, navy and cannelini work well)
• 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Cayenne pepper or hot sauce, to taste (optional, adds spice)
• 3 cups steamed brown or white rice (about 1 1/2 cups uncooked)
• Shredded cheddar cheese for topping (optional)
- Heat olive or vegetable oil in the saute pan over medium. Saute the chopped onion for 7-8 minutes till it softens. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes more, until fragrant.
- Add the zucchini and continue to saute for about 5 more minutes till zucchini starts to soften.
- Add the tomatoes and beans to the pan, stir to combine. Let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, till the zucchini is cooked and the medley is heated through.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add cayenne or hot sauce to taste, if desired (optional). Cayenne is extremely spicy, add with care.
- Serve vegetable medley over hot steamed rice. Top with shredded cheddar cheese or garnish with additional chopped cilantro, if desired. The rice and the beans combine to create a complete protein, making this a healthy vegetarian entree