Classic Cinnamon Sticky Buns
- 1 ¼ cups 2% milk, just above body temperature (105 F)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons (1 pkg) instant dry yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Filling & Assembly
- ⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. For the dough, measure all the ingredients into a bowl and stir with a wooden spoon, or blend in a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment until evenly combined. If mixing by hand, turn the dough out onto a work surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes, or if in a mixer, knead for about 3 minutes. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, 90 minutes to 2 hours.
1. For the goo, add the butter, brown sugar and maple syrup in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted and the mixture is bubbling. Pour this into a greased 9-x-13-inch pan the prepared pan and set aside.
Filling & Assembly
1. For the filling, stir the brown sugar and cinnamon together and set aside. Have the melted butter ready.
2. Turn the risen dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out into a rectangle about 18-x-12 inches. Brush the entire surface of the dough with the melted butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon brown sugar mixture. Roll up the dough from the longer side and then cut the roll into 12 pieces. Place these into the prepared pan, evenly spaced, cover with plastic wrap or tea towel and let rise for an hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Uncover the risen sticky buns and bake them for 40-45 minutes, until they are a rich golden brown. It is recommended to cool the sticky buns for 15 minutes in the pan before inverting to serve.
4. The sticky buns are best served the day they are baked.