- Throw all your veggies into a pot with water (or stock) and seasonings, cook, and blend if desired.
- To make a flavourful veggie soup, roast the vegetables in the oven first.
- Use coconut milk instead of regular milk. It gives a creamy texture and a delicious flavour. (Think curried coconut soup!)
- Potato works great as a thickener, and it also absorbs extra salt.
- For a fat-free soup, simply use water, veggies and chili flakes (enough for a little kick). What a delicious way to keep your weight on track! Nice with brown rice and beans, too.
- Leftover butternut squash? Throw it in your soup with rice, curry powder and coconut milk.
- An easy way to up the protein factor of your soup without compromising taste or texture is to add red lentils. They disappear when cooked, so they are perfect for picky eaters!
- Robin’s favourite soup is SO simple: add garlic, onions, potatoes and leeks to stock, and cook. And a little salt and pepper, puree until smooth and voila!
- Another healthy trick: chopped-up seaweed (like nori sushi sheets) adds tons of nutrition.
See? Soup is a great way to make a satisfying and nutritious meal with a few odds and ends and a little ingenuity!