Mole Rub with Mole Turkey Recipe
From Los Chileros de Nuevo Mexico
1 1/3 cups
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup salt
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- 2 tbsp corn Masa (available in the flour section of most grocery stores)
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground LOS CHILEROS New Mexican Red Chile powder
- 1 tbsp LOS CHILEROS Ancho Chile Powder
- 1 tbsp LOS CHILEROS Chipotle Chile Powder
- 1 tsp ground Ginger
- 1 tsp ground star anise
- 1 tsp toasted and ground cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 1½ tsp toasted and ground coriander seeds
- ½ tsp LOS CHILEROS Mexican Oregano
- Mix together all the ingredients. Use at once or store in an airtight jar at room temperature for up to 3 months.
- For the Turkey1 (18-20-pound) turkey; neck, heart, and gizzard removed 5 ½ cups chicken stock 2 tbsp vegetable oil.
- Place thawed turkey on rack set in large roasting pan; tuck wings under.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon mole rub in main cavity of turkey and ½ cup spice mixture all over and under turkey skin; tie legs together to hold shape. Refrigerate uncovered overnight.
- Let turkey stand 1 hour at room temperature. Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 450 degrees.
- Brush turkey with vegetable oil and sprinkle with an additional ¼ cup of the mole rub.
- Pour 1½ cups chicken stock into pan with turkey.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees; place pan in oven and roast turkey 2 hours. Add 2 cups broth to pan; roast 1 hour.
- Pour 2 cups broth over turkey; cover turkey loosely with foil. Continue roasting until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175 degrees, about 1 hour longer.
- Transfer turkey to platter, tent loosely with foil and kitchen towel, and let stand 30 minutes (internal temperature of turkey will rise 5 to 10 degrees).
- Skim fat from the pan reserving juices. Carve and serve with mole broth that is left in the pan after skimming.