From "Our Daily Bread" by Stella Standard (pub c 1970)
If you have some mincemeat left-over (how would that happen???) this is a great way to use it up. If you don't have any left-over, it's worth picking up (or making) some more!
- 1 cup mincemeat
- 2 or 3 Tbsp dark rum
- 1/2 cup 100% bran crumbles cereal
- 2 cups soft whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- If you are using homemade mincemeat, then just add the rum. If it is commercial, use a scant cup of it and add 5 or 6 sliced dates and 2 spoons of apricot jam or orange marmalade, and the rum.
- Mix with the dry ingredients and the beaten egg.
- Mix the buttermilk, sugar and baking powder and add to the flour mixture (use a large bowl as it may foam up a bit)
- The batter should be soft and moist but not thin.
- Bake bread in a greased bread pan 1 hour at 350F.
- Slice after it has cooled.
This is nice to have during the holidays for tea.