From the Collection of Marg Dye
This recipe takes simple ingredients to a delicious new level. Easy to prepare the rice and lentil mixture ahead and then rewarm… but the sauce and onions should be made just before serving.
RICE & LENTILS:
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in heavy saucepan.
- Add 1 1/4 cup lentils.
- Brown lentils over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add 3 cups boiling water or stock, 1 tsp salt, dash pepper.
- Cook uncovered 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups rice, 1 cup boiling water or stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 25 minutes without stirring.
In saucepan, heat together:
- 3/4 cup tomato paste (1 small can)
- 3 cups tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- Chopped celery leaves
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Bring sauce to boiling, reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Heat in small skillet 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- Saute over medium heat until brown 3 onions, 4 cloves garlic, minced.
- To serve, put rice-lentil mixture on a platter. Pour tomato sauce over.
- Top with browned onions.
Serves 6 with Cucumber in Sour Cream or a hearty and plentiful salad.