Contributed by Pam Hickman
- 900-mL carton of chicken broth OR 4 cups chicken bullion
- 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp dried basil and oregano leaves
- 1 small butternut squash OR 1-lb package squash pieces
- 1/2 lb green beans
- 1 yellow, red or orange pepper
- 1/2 bag (500 g) frozen or fresh tortellini (meat or cheese)
In a large saucepan over high heat, combine chicken broth with tomatoes and juice, garlic, onions, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, peel squash, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Stir into tomato mixture. Boil, uncovered, stirring often, for 8 minutes.
Trim beans, then slice into thirds. Chop pepper. After mixture has boiled and squash is fairly tender, add beans, pepper and tortellini. Stir often until pasta is cooked and beans are tender, for 5 to 10 minutes more.
Ladle into bowls. Great with chunks of bread for dipping.
Chowder keeps well, covered and refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months. Tortellini soaks up liquid when it sits, so add more broth when reheating.