From "The Curious Cook at Home" by Dee Hobsbawn-Smith.
Muffins are a wonderful breakfast or snack, and they lend themselves willingly to endless tinkering. And did I mention quick?
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted and chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil or melted butter
Stir all ingredients in small bowl.
INGREDIENTS for MUFFINS
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar, granulated or brown
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tart apple, finely diced, peeled
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375F. Brush muffin cups wit oil or line with paper liners.
- Stir together both flours, baking soda, cinnamon, raisins or cranberries and pecans. In separate bowl, stir in eggs, sugar and oil. Add apple and buttermilk to wet ingredients, then add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing with a wooden spoon or spatula only until blended.
- Spoon batter into muffin pans, divide streusel topping evenly over muffins and bake 15-20 minutes, until set.
- Place pan on rack and let cool before removing muffins from the muffin pan. Serve warm.
Yields 12 large muffins.