From Hot Off the Griddle, June 2005, borrowed from Alive magazine
- 1 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups hot brewed Earl Grey tea
- 1 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 Tbsp unrefined walnut or grape seed oil
- 2 free-range eggs
- 2 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- In a large mixing bowl combine apricots, hot tea, sugar and salt.
- Stir well and let sit for at least one hour; overnight is good.
- Preheat oven to 325 F and lightly oil a 5×9 inch loaf pan
- Add soy milk, oil and eggs to apricot mixture and stir gently.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix until just blended. Do not overmix.
- Gently add almonds and pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Decorate with more almonds if you desire.
- Bake one hour and 15 minutes or until top of loaf is golden.
- Allow to cool one half hour before serving.
Serves 12. Great with spreadable cream cheese!