From the “Full of Beans” cookbook. We first printed it in Hot Off the Griddle #24, February 1994.
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, choped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red chili pepper
- 1 cup beef or vegetable stock
- 2 cups cooked red kidney beans
- 1/4 lb lean ham, cubed
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- In nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic, onions, green pepper and celery, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Stir in thyme, oregano, salt and red chili pepper.
- Pour in stock.
- With fork, crush about one-third of the beans.
- Add to skillet along with ham; stir well.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon over rice. Garnish with parsley.
Makes 4 servings.