Published in Hot Off the Griddle #37.
- 1/2 pound dates, finely chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole bean flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp soft margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Line bottom only of 8 × 4 inch non-stick loaf pan with waxed paper cut to fit. Set aside.
- In small bowl, combine dates and water; set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- In mixing bowl, stir together all-purpose and whole bean flours, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In small bowl, beat together egg, margarine and vanilla. Stir into date mixture.
- Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for about 55 minutes or until tester inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- With knife, loosen sides and ends. Invert onto wire rack; remove paper. Let cool completely.