Recipe adapted from The Grain & Salt Society newsletter.
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup organic amaranth
- 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins
- toasted and chopped almonds
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- Toast brown rice in a skillet over a medium heat for about 8 minutes, until aromatic. Allow to cool, then roughly grind kernels (use a coffee grinder, food processor or electric hand mill); grind only slightly, just enough to break the kernels.
- Toast amaranth in a dry skillet over medium heat until grains begin to pop.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup brown rice and 1/4 cup amaranth. Add 3 cups water, sea salt and cinnamon.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add raisins.
- Garnish with chopped toasted nuts, coconut and maple syrup or agave nectar, or eat plain.