From Hot Off the Griddle #22, December 1993.
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup soft butter or margarine
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup drained prepared mincemeat
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Lightly grease an 8” x 8” x 2” pan.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, with wooden spoon or portable electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Stir in mincemeat.
- Add flour mixture, stirring until well combined.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan; bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
- Cool slightly.
- Cut into squares while still warm.
- Sprinkle lightly with icing sugar.
Makes 16 squares.