From Deborah Palmer of A Movable Feast
This main course or side dish is especially good served at room temperature and wonderful when the flavours have had a chance to meld.
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 onions, red and / or white, cut into slices
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 3 zucchini, cut in half and sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise
- 1 green pepper, cut in half and seeded
- 2 to 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme, oregano and basil OR 1 Tbsp each of fresh
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
Slice tomatoes, onions, zucchini, eggplant and peppers as directed. Peel garlic cloves and leave whole. Place all vegetables, cut side down, on grill and cook turning for approximately 15 minutes. Thin slices will take less time. When all vegetables are cooked, slice the larger pieces into more convenient serving size. Place in serving dish and dress with herbs, then with oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper.