Originally published in Hot Off the Griddle – December 1995.
We all know how good walnuts are for us! The sugar and butter perhaps a little less so… but enjoy in moderation. At least it’s a confection with a redeeming feature – and so delicious.
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups walnut halves
- 3 cups light brown (or golden yellow) sugar
- 2 cups molasses
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- Generously butter an 8 × 8 in. pan.
- Sprinkle nuts evenly on bottom.
- Place remaining ingredients in a saucepan and boil over moderate heat until brittle ball is formed in cold water; (on candy thermometer 260-265 F or 121-130 C).
- Immediately pour over nuts as evenly as possible and do not scrape saucepan.
- Let cool on a rack and break into pieces to serve.
Makes 16-18 pieces. Keep in a cool dry place, well hidden (only kidding) until ready to serve