From Mario Batali’s book “Molto Gusto”
Create your own incredibly inviting “pro-planet” meal, full of delicious tomatoes.
- 10 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted ripe tomatoes (choose a combination of colours, types, and sizes), such as Brandywine, purple Cherokee, cherry, pear, peach, and / or Green Zebra
- 2 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch basil (Genovese, lemon, Thai, or fino verde), leaves removed, or about 1 cup mixed fresh basil leaves
- Maldon or other flaky sea salt
With a sharp knife, cut the mozzarella into 1/2- inch-think slices. Transfer to a serving platter, reserving any milky liquid from the cheese in a small cup. If using cherry or grape tomatoes, cut them in half, reserving the juices. Core the remaining tomatoes and slice them, reserving the juices. Arrange the tomatoes on cheese. Whisk the vinegar, reserved tomato juices, any liquid from the mozzarella, and the olive oil in a small bowl. Tear the basil leaves over the salad. Pour the vinaigrette over it, sprinkle with salt and serve.