From the Collection of Marg Dye. First appeared in Hot Off the Griddle May 1993
This is from a Pillsbury-sponsored cookbook so old that all the pages have come loose and frayed around the edges… but if you want a delicious butterscotch sauce that makes no apologies for it’s richness, this is it!
- 2/3 c firmly packed golden sugar
- 2/3 c light corn syrup
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 2/3 c light cream or canned milk
- Combine ingredients over heat and boil gently, stirring, about 5 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually add the syrup mixture to the cream (in another pot), stirring constantly.
- Quickly bring again to a boil, remove from heat and let stand.
This sauce thickens as it stands, but if it separates, just give it a quick stir before serving. Best warm, not hot – wonderful over golden cake, or the classic – vanilla ice cream.