From Hot Off the Griddle #46, December 1995.
- 12 cups popped corn (about 3/4 cup popcorn)
- 1/2 lb. candied cherries, halved
- 2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In greased 8 quart saucepan toss popped corn with cherries until well mixed.
- In 2 quart saucepan over medium high heat, heat to boiling corn syrup, vinegar and salt, stirring occasionally.
- Set candy thermometer in place; continue cooking, without stirring, until temperature reaches 250 deg.F. or until a small amount dropped in very cold water forms a hard but pliable ball.
- Remove syrup mixture from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Slowly pour syrup over popped corn mixture, tossing until kernels are coated.
- With greased hands, shape mixture into 3-inch balls, using as little pressure as possible so balls will not be too compact. If mixture hardens, place saucepan over very low heat until mixture is pliable.