From: The New York Times New Natural Foods Cookbook.
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cups carrots, finely diced
- 1 cups shredded spinach
- 4 cups milk, scalded (not boiled)
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the onion; saute until tender.
- Add the water, salt, potatoes and carrots.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender—about 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook just until it is limp and dark green—about 3 minutes.
- Add the milk and heat the mixture to just below the simmer point (but do not boil!).