From: Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen.
Vary this recipe to suit the season, and adapt it further to serve either as a side salad or dessert.
- 1 1/2 pounds of soft textured fruits, such as whole strawberries, thick kiwi slices, skin-on tangerine chunks, halves of pitted plums or apricots, quartered peaches or pears, mango, banana, papaya, or pineapple chunks (one type only or mixture).
- Vegetable oil spray
- 3 Tbsp real maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Soaked bamboo skewers, preferably 6-10 inches long (2 for each kebab)
- Fire up grill to medium heat.
- Thread fruit chunks, using two side-by-side skewers per kebab to hold ingredients securely. Alternate coors and types of fruit if appropriate, and push the fruit together so the pieces touch but do not squash their neighbours. Spray lightly with oil.
- Stir together syrup, butter and 1 tsp water in small saucepan over medium-low heat until butter melts. Brush kebabs lightly with mixture.
- Grill kebabs uncovered for 8-10 minutes, turning to cook on all sides, until fruits are softened and a few edges are browned. Brush kebabs generously with syrup mixture during the last couple of minutes of cooking.
- Serve hot, or chill and enjoy later.