From Chef Nigella Lawson
- 1 large lemon
- 1 fat garlic clove
- 2 tsp Maldon salt (Foodstuffs has this)
- 3 medium fully ripe avocados
- 3 spring onions
- 1 large bunch basil
- Zest lemon and keep the little pile of yellow dust to one side for a moment. Juice the bald lemon into bowl, mince garlic and sprinkle in salt, trying to break it up with your fingers as it goes in. Fork everything together to dissolve.
- Peel and stone avocados; mash flesh into bowl with your lemony fork. Finely slice spring onions and chop up most of basil leaves, reserving some choice small leaves for the top. Sprinkle over lemon zest and then mix everything together with fork. The consistency should not be a purée, more of a knobbly dip.
- Dollop into serving dish and sprinkle with reserved basil. Serve immediately with toasted sourdough, sugar snaps and sliced fennel - or indeed any other crudités of your choice.
Yields 6 servings.