From "Show-Stopping Side Dishes"
- 3 medium-sized green tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 1/2 tsp fennel powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 commercial variety Asian Peanut Sauce
- Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and discard the ends. Pat the slices with paper towels to absorb any moisture.
- Place eggs in small bowl and whisk until frothy.
- Combine corn flour, fennel powder and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Dip tomato slices quickly into egg, then place them in the flour mixture. Coat slices evenly.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. When the oil is hot, add tomatoes, and fry for about one minute, or until the bottoms are lightly brown. Carefully turn the slices and brown the remaining side. Transfer cooked tomatoes to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat sauce in a small pan over medium-low heat.
- Serve tomatoes hot and crisp, and drizzled with sauce.
Yields 4 servings.