From "Full of Beans" by Violet Currie and Kay Spicer
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cooked red kidney or Dutch brown beans
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup low fat yogurt or light sour cream
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Thinly sliced red radishes (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In saucepan of lightly salted water, bring potatoes and bay leaf to a boil; cook for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain well; discard bay leaf.
- In glass bowl or nonreactive container, combine potatoes, beans and green onions.
- In small bowl or jar with tight fitting lid, whisk or shake together vinegar, oil, celery seed, salt, paprika and sugar. Pour over warm mixture, stir gently. Cover and refrigerate, occasionally stirring, for at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.
- At serving time, blend together mayonnaise, yogurt and mustard; fold into potato mixture. Garnish with radishes if using parsley.
Yields 6 servings.
Good: Iron, magnesium, vitamin B6, and protein.
Excellent: Folate and very high in fibre.