Originally published in Foodstuffs Hot Off the Griddle, October 1993.
- 1 lb black beans
- 6 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tart green apples, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp chli powder
- 1/2 cup chopped dry dates
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- yogurt & green onions
- Wash beans, add water, cover and soak overnight.
- Add butter and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, simmer until tender, about 2 hours.
- While cooling, fry sausage until golden. Drain fat.
- Add sausage to beans.
- Add onion, apples, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, chili powder, dates and tomato juice.
- Bring to boil.
- Bake in covered casserole, 325 deg.F for 2 hours.
- Five minutes before serving, add rum.
Serve in gumbo bowls. Dollop yogurt and green onions on top. Serves 6 – 8.