- 2 cans of black beans (turtle beans) with liquid
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 to 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes, canned or fresh
- 2 tsp cumin seed or 1 tsp ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch of cayenne powder
- 1 red bell pepper
- Canned chipotle peppers to taste
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Sour cream or yogurt
- Grated white or orange cheddar
- Coriander leaves
- Salsa and tortilla chips
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- Add onions and garlic
- Saute about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, oregano, bay leaves, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Add the beans and tomatoes.
- Stir and simmer mixture for 20 to 30 minutes. Add red and green peppers (plus hot peppers if you’re using them).
- Stir in brown sugar to taste.
- Heat 5 minutes
- Serve with rice and condiments.