From Deborah Palmer of A Movable Feast
A gorgeous spread for Christmas … Beautiful colour. Wonderful flavour and healthy too!
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp water … add up to 1 Tbsp more if needed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil … add up to 1 Tbsp more to make the mixture more smooth, if desired
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tsp pomegranate molasses or regular molasses
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 slice whole grain bread (Ace walnut-raisin bread is ideal)
- 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted in dry pan
Slice bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place slices, skin side up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil until charred, about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer peppers and all remaining ingredients except walnuts in a food processor; process until smooth. Add walnut; pulse 5 times or until nuts are coarsely chopped. Serve as a dip or puree with vegetables, bread or pita.