From the "More With Less" cookbook. We first printed it in Hot Off the Griddle #45, November 1995.
- 2 cups graham or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1 cup raisins, chopped and lightly floured
- 1/4 cup nuts (optional)
- Combine first four ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Add next four ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Spoon into either 4 well-greased 1 lb tins cans or a ring mold.
- Let stand 1/2 hour.
- Bake 45-50 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly on cake rack before removing from tins.
Wrap airtight and store 24 hours before serving.