From Hot Off the Griddle #23, January 1994.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup creamed cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup Ontario honey
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp Ontario honey
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp active dry yeast (2 packets)
- 1 egg
- Heat first four ingredients until very warm (120 deg. F.).
- In a large bowl, blend warm liquid, 2 c. all purpose flour, honey, salt, yeast and egg at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 2 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl; turn over once.
- Cover, let rise in moist warm place until light and doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Grease (not oil) two 9” x 5” loaf pans.
- Punch dough down, divide and shape into 2 loaves.
- Place in prepared pans.
- Cover, let rise in moist warm place until doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350F. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Immediately remove from pans; cool.
If desired, brush warm loaves with melted margarine or butter.
Makes 2 loaves.