From Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Bread Cookbook. Printed in Hot Off the Griddle #43, September 1995.
- In mixing bowl cream together 1/2 cup shortening and 1 cup granulated sugar.
- Add 2 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla; beat well.
- Stir thoroughly 2 cups all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda and 1/4 tsp tsp salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with 1 cup dairy sour cream.
- Fold in 2 cups finely chopped apple.
- Spread batter in greased 13 × 9 × 2 inch baking pan.
- Combine 1/2 cup chopped nuts, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon; stir in 2 tbsp melted butter.
- Sprinkle nut mixture evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350 deg. for 35 to 40 minutes.