Contributed by Kim Falls
It’s easy enough to be an everyday cake and special enough to be a birthday cake. Two thumbs up from Kim, who makes it regularly as her tried and true cake for decorating. Makes two 9-inch round cakes or one 9 × 13 inch cake.
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 c unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tsp (pure) vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk (or reconstituted buttermilk powder)
- Mix dry ingredients well.
- Beat butter until smooth (medium speed with mixer). Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time just until blended. Beat in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture alternately in 3 batches. Make sure to scrape down sides of bowl so that all is evenly combined.
- Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes until cake tester comes out clean.