From Hot Off the Griddle #36, March 1995.
- Sift together 1 1/3 cups sifted flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp soda, 1 1/4 cups sugar.
- Add 1/3 cup shortening, 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk.
- Beat for 2 minutes until batter is well blended. (With electric mixer blend at low speed, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes)
- Add 2 eggs, unbeaten, 2 1/2 squares chocolate, melted and slightly cooled, 1 tsp vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour into well greased and floured 9 inch ring pan, 3 inches deep, fillling half full.
- Bake in 375 degree oven 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool, and frost with your favourite icing, or drizzle with a light glaze (like that given for “Hot Cross Buns”).
- Before serving, fill ring with scoops of ice cream. Or, for Easter, fill with coloured candy Easter eggs and other treats to give the cake the appearance of an Easter basket full of goodies!