If there are green tomatoes left in your garden at the end of the season, this is the perfect solution. It’s sweet and tangy and delicous on meats… or on a cheddar cheese sandwich!
- Wash and cut into thin slices 8 quarts green tomatoes.
- Peel, cut into thin slices and add 12 large onions, 1 cup coarse salt. Let stand 12 hours. Wash in clear water and drain.
- Heat to boiling point 3 quarts cider vinegar and add 12 green peppers, sliced thin, 6 sweet red peppers, diced. Add 12 minced cloves garlic, 4 lbs. brown sugar. Add tomatoes and onions.
- Tie into cloth bag and add 2 Tbsp dry mustard, 2 Tbsp whole cloves, 2 sticks cinnamon, 2 Tbsp powdered ginger, 1 Tbsp salt, 1 Tbsp celery seed.
- Simmer until tomatoes are transparent, about 1 hour. Stir frequently.
- Place pickles in sterile jars and seal.
For safe home-canning tips check out the Bernardin web-site