Originally Published in Foodstuffs Hot Off the Griddle, July 1993.
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 pound seedless raisins
- 1 small garlic clove
- 4 lbs. ripe peaches
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 Tbsp mustard seed
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 quart vinegar
- 1 1/4 lbs. brown sugar
- Put onion, raisins, garlic through food chopper.
- Peel peaches; cut in small pieces.
- Add peaches to first mixture with remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boiling point.
- Boil slowly, stirring occasionally, 1 hour, or until thick and rich brown in colour.
- Pour into 3 hot, sterilized pint jars, filling to top. Seal.