From Hot Off the Griddle #32, October 1994.
- 1 3/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp powdered cloves
- 1/4 cup sour milk or buttermilk
- 2 eggs, unbeaten
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Sift about 2 cups of flour into bowl.
- Measure 1 3/4 cups back into sifter; add soda; sift onto waxed paper.
- Measure shortening, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves, sour milk and eggs into big bowl.
- Beat vigorously until well mixed.
- Stir in flour, oats, nuts.
- Drop by teaspoonsful 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets and insert sucker sticks for lollipops.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes.
Makes about 40.