From The New York Times New Natural Foods Cookbook. We first printed it in Hot Off the Griddle #44, October 1995.
- 6 medium sized apples, washed, cored and thinly sliced.
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup stoneground cornmeal
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup peanut oil or vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Oil a large heavy iron skillet.
- Place the unpeeled apple slices in the skillet and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the cinnamon.
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, oats, and the remaining sugar.
- Pour in the oil and work with the fingers through the dry mixture. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the topping is brown. Do not overcook.
Serves 6 to 8.