From “Country Cookbook”. This old favourite first appeared in Foodstuffs Hot Off the Griddle in August, 1995.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- Cream shortening and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add egg, beat until light.
- Sift together 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Spread in greased 9 × 9 pan.
- Toss lemon juice with berries.
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Make crumb topping of remaining 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar and other ingredients. Cover berries.
- Bake in moderate oven (350 deg.) 1 hour, or until done.