From Deborah Palmer of A Movable Feast
Like a chocolate truffle in cake form. Divine.
- 450 grams (1 lb) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 4 large eggs, separated
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Butter sides and bottom of 8-inch spring form pant. Place 8-inch round piece of parchment in bottom of pan.
- Place chocolate on top of butter in a glass bowl. Melt in microwave on high power for 1 minute.
- Remove bowl and stir mixture to combine. Using 30-second bursts, continue to melt mixture, stirring between bursts. Cool mixture. Stir in extracts.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites with the salt until mixture begins to hold shape. Add sugar and continue to whip until mixture is thick and holds shape – but is not dry or stiff.
- Place beaten whites in another bowl. Set aside.
- Using the electric mixer, beat the egg yolks till fluffy and lemony yellow in colour – about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and continue mixing until blended through.
- Add cooled chocolate mixture to egg yolks, mixing well.
- With a rubber spatula, slowly add one third of the egg whites to the chocolate mixture, mixing from bottom of bowl to blend whites into chocolate.
- Add remaining whites and continue gently blending until there are no white streaks left.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake cake in centre of oven for 15 minutes, then remove and allow to cool.
- Run a knife around edge of spring form pan to loosen before removing cake to finish cooling.
- When completely cooled, turn pan upside-down on serving platter and remove parchment paper.
- For best results, refrigerate overnight.
- Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar or topped with chocolate ganache.
Cake may be frozen before topping.