From the Better Homes and Gardens' Homemade Bread Book.
Delicious with a cup of coffee.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter milk or sour milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- Powdered sugar
- Stir the first 4 inrgedients and 1/4 tsp salt thoroughly.
- Cut in butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the mixture, raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Beat buttermilk and egg into remaining flour mixture.
- Spread 1/2 the batter in lightly greased 8×8×2 inch baking pan.
- Top with raisin mixture.
- Spoon on jam.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool. Dust with powdered sugar.