From Company’s Coming. We first printed this in Hot Off the Griddle #23, January 1994.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup currants or cut up raisins
- In large bowl put flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in 1/4c butter until crumbly.
- Make a well in the centre. Pour milk in well.
- Stir to form soft dough, adding a bit more milk if needed.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface. Knead 8-10 times.
- Roll into rectangle about 1/3” thick and 12” long.
- Cream butter, brown sugar and cinnamon together well.
- Drop 1 measuring tsp into each of 12 greased muffin tins.
- Spread the remaining cinnamon mixture over dough rectangle.
- Sprinkle currants over top.
- Roll up and cut into 12 slices. Place cut side down in muffin pan.
- Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes. Turn out on tray.