Originally published in Foodstuffs Hot Off the Griddle
- 1 cup whole bean flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups strong coffee, cooled
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- Grease and/or line with parchment bottom only (not sides) of 9 inch square cake pan. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, stir together bean flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff peaks form.
- In small bowl, whisk together coffee and corn syrup.until smooth.
- Fold in egg whites until blended.
- Pour into prepared pan; spread to corners smoothing top.
- Bake in 350 deg. oven for 40 minutes or until tester inserted into centre comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 5 minutes in before turning out onto wire rack to cool.
Ice with Fluffy Frosting (see recipe elsewhere in our collection).