A recipe from Gluten-Free, Wheat-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes by Grace Cheetham
- dairy-free margarine for greasing
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup fruit sugar
- 10 ounces raspberries
- 2 drops rosewater
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Heat oven to 350F. Grease six large, deep 1 1/2-cup ramekins or a 9-cup souffle dish with margarine.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites using an electric mixer until they form stiff peaks. Add half the sugar and continue whisking until they form glossy peaks.
- Place the raspberries and the remaining sugar in a small, heavy-bottom saucepan and heat gently over low heat 4 to 5 minutes until the fruit is soft. Stir in the rosewater, then strain the mixture through a non-metallic strainer into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix 1 teaspoon water and the cornstarch together in a small bowl to make a smooth paste and whisk into the strained raspberry mixture.
- Add one-third of the whisked egg whites to the raspberry mixture and whisk until blended. With a metal spoon, carefully fold in the remaining egg whites until they are all thoroughly mixed in.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins or souffle dish and bake in the hot oven 8 to 12 minutes, depending on the size, until very lightly brown on top and well risen; take the souffles out of the oven and serve immediately.